Monday, April 2, 2012

Animations & Space Creation

In order to create space, I had to break down the animation I was creating to a simple form. I simply analyzed the camera paths that I used in my various camera cuts to then use as curves within a modeling program. I chose Rhino for this process as I ran into issues trying to import a .dwf file into Maya. 


The curves created from the camera paths were fairly diverse. I had one long, swooping curve created from the pan-around camera I used in the opening of my animation. The others were fairly close in proximity and scale but varied in their form. It is interesting to see what form was created from lofting these various curves together to make one solid form. It almost forms what looks to be a large, cantilevered open air market... in a way. The closer, smaller camera path curves serve to anchor the larger sweeping camera path which forms the expansive "roof-like" figure. 


Looking at these images, I can begin to imagine taking 5, 6, maybe more camera paths to create a much more complex form. I chose to take the images from a ground plane perspective such to create the illusion of approaching the model as an object in space. 










2 comments:

  1. I had to scroll down and find your film reference because I couldn't initially recognize anything in the form you produced. Now that I have the crew team in my head I feel like I need to watch the entire process to actually get from the scene to your form. But it certainly makes me want to study the form and try to develop my initial impressions working backwards to your scene. Cool translation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The images are very provoking. Within the cantelevered fan the range of movement is captured in a dynamic , assymetrical balanced surface

    ReplyDelete