Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Project 2 Final - Motion Diagrammed

The Social Network Rowing Scene - Diagramming Motion

I decided to take a slightly different approach to the final version of the animation/surface study. The motion of the act of rowing is an interesting study compounded by the cinematography the director used to capture this action. With this in mind, I wanted to try to diagram that sequence.

First, I started off by trying to break down the essential parts of the rowing action. I took still images from a video of someone rowing.
 From this sequence, I tried to diagram the essential movements and elements to the action.


In looking at this, I decided that being too literal about the human body being evident, I isolated the body and it's actions alone as seen below.



Using Rhino, I lofted these curves after aligning them to create a surface. My hope was that this surface would be a sort of flow diagram of the action happening while rowing. I wanted to try to animate through using this surface.



I lofted the curves to yield a surface. I arrayed a series of planes to take splined segments from, which produced a sort of still-frame moments of the rowing action.

Now that I was given these moments, I arranged the pieces and surface into ways by which I could begin to animate the essense of the original video. The original video clip, in my few was about capturing the motion and action of rowing. This action happened as a tension between two points, the opposing row teams, on a line. The camera worked in line with this motion, panned around the line, ran on oblique to the line, and through the line. Through my animation, I wanted to diagram that sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment